There are a few major goals of any cybersecurity approach for a business, and the prevention of data loss is among the top entries on any such list. Data breaches are at some of their highest levels ever in recent years, costing many companies millions of dollars and major hassle, but there are some simple ways that data loss prevention can be accomplished to stop this from happening.
At Elevated Networks, we’re happy to offer a wide range of cybersecurity solutions to clients around Salt Lake City, St. George and other nearby parts of Utah, and data loss is a common area we deal with. Here’s a primer on how data loss happens, plus some basic ways to prevent it for your business on a daily basis.
Ways Data Loss Can Happen
There are several ways data loss can take place for a business, including:
- Hacking: Sadly, one of the most common ways data loss happens is through hacking. Hackers can find their way into your network, steal sensitive information or personal data and use it for nefarious purposes.
- Bad actor break-ins: In other cases, someone with malicious intent may physically break into your office or storage areas and steal data that way.
- Employee error: In other situations, an employee may accidentally delete important files or not store them correctly, leading to data loss.
- Accidents: Data loss doesn’t always come from malicious sources – sometimes, accidents happen that lead to accidental deletion or modification of important files.
- Data becomes corrupted: In some cases, data loss occurs because files become corrupted and are no longer readable or usable.
Why Data Loss Prevention is Important
Preventing data loss is crucial for several reasons:
- Financial costs: As previously mentioned, data breaches can cost businesses millions of dollars in damages. This isn’t just lost revenue – it’s also potential legal fees and other major expenses.
- Reputational damage: A data breach or other form of data loss can also severely harm a company’s reputation, leading to lost trust from consumers and partners alike.
- Compliance concerns: Businesses are often subject to various regulations about how they must handle sensitive data. Data loss can lead to major compliance issues and fines.
Luckily, preventing data loss is simple enough with the right precautions and actions. Our next several sections will go over these.
One of the single most important steps in data loss prevention is encryption. Encryption codes up all your sensitive data, making it unreadable and useless to unauthorized users even if they are able to access it.
This includes anything from customer information to employee records. By encrypting your data, you protect it from all forms of hacking and malicious intent.
Backing up your data is also crucial. Not only does this protect against accidental deletion or corruption, but it also ensures that any lost data can be recovered easily and quickly.
For instance, if you suffer a data breach, you can easily restore your files from a recent backup and minimize the impact of any lost or stolen data.
Security Policies and Employee Training
Many data breaches can be traced back to human error. That’s why it’s crucial for businesses to have strong security policies in place and ensure that all employees are properly trained on them.
This includes things like using strong passwords, avoiding suspicious emails or links, and following proper procedures for storing and accessing sensitive data.
As we noted above, accidents like spills can also lead to data loss. That’s why it’s important for businesses to have physical safeguards in place, such as keeping computers and other equipment away from liquid sources.
Company-Wide Password Policies and Practices
For all employees, it’s important to have a strong password policy in place. Passwords should be complex and changed regularly, and two-factor authentication can add an additional layer of security.
Another key element of data loss prevention is using the right software. This includes antivirus programs, firewalls, and other tools that can help detect and prevent breaches or malicious attacks.
Working With Quality Professionals
Finally, it’s important to work with experienced, knowledgeable professionals who can help you implement and maintain a comprehensive data loss prevention strategy. At Elevated Networks, our team has the skills and expertise needed to keep your business safe and secure from all forms of data loss.
To learn more about our data loss prevention or any of our other cybersecurity services, contact us today. We’re proud to serve clients throughout Salt Lake City, St. George, and the surrounding areas in Utah.